Hi Codeforces!
Many people say that Python is too slow for competitive programming and that everyone should switch to C++. While C++ is undeniably faster, I believe Python is still an amazing language for problem-solving if used correctly.
Here are a few things I learned while solving problems in Python on Codeforces:
1. PyPy 3 is a lifesaver
Never submit in pure Python 3 if execution time matters. PyPy 3 JIT compiler makes loops significantly faster.
2. Avoid input() in big loops
Using sys.stdin.read().split() instead of standard input() reduced my I/O time significantly on large datasets.
3. Python's hidden superpowers
- Built-in support for Big Integers (no need to worry about 64-bit overflow).
- Extremely fast string manipulations and list comprehensions.
- Easy-to-read syntax which lets you focus purely on the logic during contests.
Question for the community: What is your peak rating using Python/PyPy? Do you think it's worth switching to C++ after reaching Candidate Master, or can PyPy carry even higher?
Let’s discuss in the comments!



