Alternate Solution to Min-Cut Problem

Revision en1, by MathLimitExceeded, 2017-11-10 12:43:02

Hello,

I found this weird dynamic programming solution to the following Hackerearth problem.

The problem setter's solution uses network flow to solve the task and I was able to understand that after reading the editorial. On the other hand, I am unable to come up with a proof of correctness for the dp solution which I have linked above. This has been in my TODO list for over a month now and it feels as if I am not getting anywhere near the proof.

To be honest, it feels counter intuitive that a task that uses network flow can be solved with dynamic programming but I could not come up with a counter example either.

However, I was able to prove the following lemma that hints that the dp solution might be correct but this is about as far as I reached —

If for each index 1 ≤ i ≤ n we can generate a segment that starts at i using the given queries then your opponent can discover the parity of each element from i = 1 to n

Any kind of help will be appreciated :)

History

 
 
 
 
Revisions
 
 
  Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en1 English MathLimitExceeded 2017-11-10 12:43:02 1211 Initial revision (published)