I made a modern Dev-C++ alternative for competitive programming

Revision en1, by stuwupidwjbu, 2026-10-10 00:40:01

Hi Codeforces,

When I started learning C++ as a first-year student, I bounced between two options. VS Code looked great, but I spent more time installing MinGW and fixing configs than writing code, just to get <bits/stdc++.h> to work. Every time I switched machines, like the PCs in the lab or at a contest, I had to do it all over again. And it wasn't just me: a lot of my classmates got stuck at the same step before writing a single line of code. Dev-C++ just worked, but it felt stuck in the past, and there was nothing I could change about it.

I'm also the kind of person who likes making my coding space feel like mine. So at some point I thought: why not build the IDE I actually want to use, one that my classmates could just install and start coding with?

That became Sameko Dev C++. It's free and open source, and the goal is simple: as easy as Dev-C++, but modern and yours.

  • GCC 16 comes bundled on Windows, with bits/stdc++.h precompiled, so a typical solution builds in about 500-700 ms on my laptop. Install it and start coding.
  • Input / Output / Expected panels with AC / WA, and Competitive Companion support to pull tests from Codeforces / AtCoder.
  • A GDB debugger that shows vector, map, set... in a readable way, plus an "Auto dry run" that steps through your code by itself.
  • You can restyle almost everything: colors, themes, even a background image or video.

It's my first big project, so there are surely rough edges.

Download: sameko.dev

Source: GitHub

⚠️ The Windows build isn't code-signed yet, so SmartScreen may warn you. VirusTotal: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/9a75adbaa997597b277ef9257b2112f583da062d5d30769bb6b0ab034cc5ee53 (0/49)

btw, the name is inspired by the VTuber Sameko Saba. This is an unofficial fan project, not affiliated with or endorsed by her.

Feedback and bug reports are very welcome. Thanks!

Tags ide, c++, open source, tools

History

 
 
 
 
Revisions
 
 
  Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en1 English stuwupidwjbu 2026-10-10 00:40:01 2358 Initial revision (published)