Activity Selection and Matroid Theory
Difference between en2 and en3, changed 471 character(s)
Many people on different articles suggests that if an optimization problem has a greedy solution, the underlying structure must have matroid property.↵

I was trying to understand this. So far, I was able to prove that for,  ↵
1. Maximum sum of m integers among n integer.  ↵
2. Minimum spanning tree.  ↵

However, The classical greedy algorithm *Activity Selection* seems to fail having *exchange* property.  ↵

Let,  ↵
`E = {1-3, 2-4, 3-5, 4-6, 5-7}` ↵
 ↵
Now, Take two independent set,  ↵
`I = {2-4, 4-6}` and `J = {1-3, 3-5, 5-7}`  ↵

There is no activity in `J` which can extend `I`. Which fails the *exchange* property of matroid, if I understood it correctly. Thus, it is not matroid and shouldn't have a greedy algorithms.↵

Where am I wrong?↵

NB:  ↵
1. a-b means starts at time a end just before time b.  ↵
2. I know matroid is not best way to find greedy algorithms in contest. I just like to understand the underlying structure once.↵

**EDIT:**  ↵
Please Suggest some math forum where I may get the answer.  

**UPDATE**  ↵
Well, I got the answer. In strict sense, the **activity selection** algorithm is called greedy-like not greedy. That is the reason. There are many algorithm which we take as greedy but they aren't greedy in mathematical sense. They are just greedy-like. This also explain how many people **misguiding** others that you should prove the matroid property when solve greedy problem. Fortunately, many people also suggest not to use matoroid as an criteria.

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en3 English shakil.ahamed 2018-03-10 10:47:54 471 resolved
en2 English shakil.ahamed 2018-03-07 10:57:00 75
en1 English shakil.ahamed 2018-03-06 17:40:19 990 Initial revision (published)